fbpx

Artemis Cynthia Complex – Paphos Cyprus

The ‘Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate’ Monastery

The Panayia Chrysorroyiatissa Monastery, ‘Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate’, is set on a hillside just outside the village of Pano Panayia in Paphos, and was established in 1152 by the monk Ignatios.

Legend says that the monk found an icon of the Virgin Mary, which had drifted to the shores of Paphos from Asia Minor (now Turkey).  

The present monastery, a single-aisle church built on the foundation of an older one, dates to 1770. Fine frescoes are found above the three entrances, and a gold-silver-plated icon of Christ and the Virgin Mary in the monastery is believed to have been painted by the Apostle Luke. The Icons and Utensil Treasury of the monastery is also home to a collection of a number of other important icons, religious objects and artefacts.

The monastery hosts a grand religious ceremony every August 15 for the celebration of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary. The monastery also produces some of the best vintage wines on the island.

The Monastery is open all year round and is open from May to August from 09:30 – 12:30 and 13:30 – 18:30 (daily) and from September to April from 10:00 – 12:30 and 13:30 – 16:00 (daily). The Icons and Utensil Treasury are open to the public only upon request. Opening and closing times as well as entrance fees, are subject to alterations without notice. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.

 

 
 
If you like this page, please share it...Share on Facebook
Facebook
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Email this to someone
email
Print this page
Print
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on LinkedIn
Linkedin